Another post so quickly! Well I finished my fifth Stormcast Liberator yesterday which gives me a full, albeit small unit and I'm really chuffed to have actually got these done. I started the first model right before the new year and have been joking ever since that I might get the unit finished before this Christmas due to my rather slow personal output. Anyway, a few pics of the unit.
The bases are topped with flagstones made from plastic sheet. I wanted something that looked like it could be a ruined temple or a slightly fantastical city street so went with hexagonal paving slabs. Not an easy shape and sometimes I wonder why I had to make things so bloody awkward but I think it looks pretty good. I originally tried out the hex slabs on a couple of Melnibonean models I painted years ago so I still have the template I used. Couldn't help thinking at times that the bases still looked a little lacking in some way but thankfully GW released new basing materials and they're exactly what I needed. I've sparingly used the Barbed Bracken and just one skull but I'm sure I'll use them more extensively on future models.
It's been a bit of a learning curve working on these as previously I'd not touched any of GW's current models. Whenever I begin work on a model that's a different style to what I'm familiar with it can throw me a little and take a bit of time to get used to the sculpting and how best to paint it. Those first few Liberators came together quite slowly but the last two were a lot quicker and easier to work through. But, just as I get used to painting these they're done and I'm ready to move onto slightly more challenging models. I have a Lord Relictor ready to start that I'm hoping isn't as complex as it might seem and I also built a Lord Celestant on Dracoth which will be one hell of a job. I've a selection of other heroes that I'd like to work on as well before I delve back into painting additional troop types. Maybe I'll get one or two things added before Christmas!